Monday, September 8, 2014

Preparing for my own death

When you're living a good life - a job, having a home, a spouse, children, grand kids, pets - who thinks of departing from this earth.  As you grow into adulthood, and starting out, death is something that happens to old people.  I've been doing a lot of research on the elderly.  I am part of that era.  I am turning 78 in March, 2015.

I donated my body to Vanderbilt University and one of my sons told me I would be a frozen popcicle until the next semester starts.  When I contacted the school to see if I was still on the list, the intake worker said yes, but asked who my alternate was.  I didn't have an alternate.  I asked her to clarify what she meant and this is what I was told. 

There is no guarantee the university will take my body when I pass on, for reasons such as, infected with an aggressive disease, too old, very unhealthy and many more criteria.  So, they suggested I have an alternate to call. 

I got out my phone directory and called three cremation places.  I don't want to be put in the ground and I don't want my ashes in an urn in someone's house.  Just burn my ass up and toss those ashes, wherever you want.  So far, I have contacted three crematories and will see them in the next two weeks. I want this all paid for by the time I need it.  I don't want my family burdened with the costs or preparation.

So I now have Plan B.  I have my Will in my safe deposit box with all my final wishes too. 

I'm set. 


1 comment: