Sunday, November 13, 2016

What a Joy Kindergarten is

Over the past twenty five years I have taught adult classes in city colleges, Annex groups and Libraries.  As a substitute teacher I am teaching Kindergarden to twelfth grade high school students.  Most everything I teach is drafted out for me by the permanent teacher, so even if I don't know the subject, the instructions will tell me to watch a video, then talk or write about it, or maybe the regular teacher has games, reading or writing to do in class.  Because I have lived many years, I know all the subjects of the classes I'm teaching - all except one.

As I entered my classroom last Friday and read the description of the class on the white board, I was stumped.  "Drones" are the new way to communicate, dictate and do what humans usually do.  We discussed how Drones can transfer messages to let farmers know their soil needs more water or how important it is to "feed" it now.  Wow.  I'm learning something that my grandson told me has been around for a while.  This class was interesting because I was learning something too. Even though the only thing I had to do in that class was to take roll and let each student describe in their own words what a Drone is capable of doing in the future, I was taking notes.

During my tenure as a sub, starting in 2016, I have taught grades 4 through 12 and I will say that some of the kids can be very testy, but tolerable.  I had heard if I teach a Kindergarten or 1st grade that all I will be doing is watching them play with toy stoves, pots and pans, monitor lunch and get them ready for dismissal.  Boy, was that wrong information.  First, I love Kindergarten because they still love whoever is teaching them, but they aren't in toy heaven at all.  Here's how it went for me with my first day with Kindergarten.

Arrival time 12 noon.  Take them to lunch until 12:30.
12:40 - Computer room until 1:20
1:30 - Language Arts until 2:20
2:30 - Math and beginning writing until 3:15 (snack time too)
3:15 - Put paperwork away, clean up around desk, get back packs and get in line to go home.
3:30 - Dismissal

Oh the busy life of Kindergarten. I love it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment